Brass is a metal that is used for multipurpose. But all the things made with Brass are easily prone to tarnish, or they easily get tarnished. They need extra care, and regular cleaning of these items is necessary. There are various tricks and techniques on how to clean brass jewelry naturally and effectively without using any harsh chemical cleansers.
Before talking about any trick of cleaning brass items, it needs to know that item should be made with Brass, not Brass plated. There is a simple technique to know whether your item is made up of Brass or plated with Brass. Take a piece of magnet and put it on the brass item. If it will stick to, then your item is just plated with Brass, and if not, then it is made Brass.
It is important to know that brass metal is also easily prone to water spots. Thus it is necessary to dry it immediately using a clean cotton cloth.
Tricks of how to clean brass jewelry at home
Various techniques are being used to clean brass jewelry as well. These tricks and techniques are explained as follow:
- Ketchup: It is quite surprising, but yes ketchup works like a cleansing agent on brass items without being too harsh. It contains an acidic substance blended in tomatoes and vinegar that will work excellent on brass items. Just put a small amount of ketchup on a soft & clean cloth or brush and gently rub it on the item. For items that are tarnished badly, you can pour the ketchup into the bowl, put the jewelry into it and keep them aside for a while. After a few minutes, you can clean the item with warm water and dry it with a soft cotton cloth.
- Lemon juice & baking soda: Lemon juice contains some acidic substance, and it proves to be a very powerful natural cleanser. Similarly, baking soda is also used to clean various metals. To clean Brass you need to take the juice of ½ lemons, add a tablespoon of baking soda & make a paste out of it. You just need to rub the paste around the tarnished area until it gets clean. After that, you need to rinse it off with clear water and dry it with a clean cloth piece. You also can use a soft brush for the area where it is hard to clean with hands.
- Non-gel Toothpaste: Toothpaste is used to clean many metals, and Brass is one of them. You just need to put a small amount of toothpaste on the brush and simply apply a thin layer of toothpaste on the tarnished area and let them rest for a couple of minutes. After a few minutes, rub it over with the help of the brush itself until it gets clean. After that, rinse it off with the help of clean, cool water and dry it with a clean cloth.
- Salted lemon: This is a similar technique we have discussed above, but you can use half lemon instead of lemon juice. To perform this technique, you need to sprinkle the salt on the half lemon and rub it over the Brass, or you can also use a soft brush to get the tarnish off from small and hidden areas. After that, simply rinse it off with clear water and again dry it with a clean cloth.
- Vinegar, Salt, and Flour: To make the paste of this cleansing agent, you will need a tablespoon of salt, ½ cup of vinegar and then add flour until it makes a thick paste-like substance. Rub the paste on the item and leave it for about 10-20 minutes. After that, rinse the Brass with warm water and dry it with a clean cloth thoroughly.
- Warm Water & Soap: This method of cleaning is one of the simplest techniques for your brass item. In this method, you just need a cup of warm water and a small portion of liquid dish soap. Gently rub it over the tarnished area with the help of either your finger or brush. After that, rinse it with the help of clean water and again dry it with a clean cloth.
These methods are very simple and approachable and solve your entire queries regarding how to clean tarnished brass jewelry with simple tricks and techniques. I hope so they will work for your brass jewelry as well.